One of the most magical things about lipstick is its ability to make you appear more polished in a single swipe. Whether you’re a fan of classic reds, sophisticated nudes, subtle pinks, or experimental hues inspired by the entire colour spectrum, your shade options are virtually endless. However, a hue is only as good as its carrier; even the most ravishing of shades falls flat if the formula cracks, flakes, or fades.
The traditional in-store swatching method can help you choose a stand-up formula. If you’re buying online, though, it’s tricky to determine anything about the lipstick (other than the shade). Below, we asked celebrity makeup artists to share the go-to lipsticks they keep stocked in their kits so you can rest assured that your online purchase is just right. All you have to do is hit the “Checkout” button.
Best lipstick on Amazon according to celebrity makeup artists
Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Lipstick
- Moisturizing lipstick
- Moisturizes lips while conditioning them in just three days
While Neutrogena is best known for its signature skincare and foundations, the rest of the brand’s makeup line should not be missed. Lilly Keys, who has worked with the likes of Charli XCX, Kali Uchis, and Dua Lipa, favours the Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Lipstick ($8) for its array of flattering shades.
She flags that it is also comfortable to wear. “I love how creamy and hydrating this lipstick is,” she says, citing emollient ingredients like mango and shea butter. “It also lasts surprisingly well.”
Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lipstick
- LONG LASTING LIPSTICK: Intense color with 8 hour moisture leaves lips silky smooth with a satin finish and creamy texture
- MOISTURIZING LIP COLOR: This lipstick helps condition and sooth lips with moisturizing ingredients like Beeswax Moringa Oil Raspberry Seed Oil and Vitamin E
If you’re an aficionado of natural beauty brands, try the Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lipstick ($9). “I’ve always been a fan of Burt’s Bees, and their makeup collection has made me an even bigger fan!” enthuses celebrity makeup artist Jared Lipscomb, who has worked with Mercedes Javid, Ariana Madix, and Emily Althaus.
“This lipstick is a definite standout: it’s hydrating like [Burt’s Bees] balms, but it’s fully pigmented like a traditional cosmetic,” he explains. “I love the colour selection, too.”
Buxom Wildly Whipped Lightweight Liquid Lipstick
- VOLUMIZER & ENHANCER: Ultimate lipgloss adds natural volume and plumps shape for fuller, bigger lips
- CONDITIONING HYDRATION: Moisturizing and nourishing liquid makeup serum leaves lips smooth and soft
If you’re in search of a wide range of shade options, makeup artist Rebecca Restrepo recommends snapping up a tube of the Buxom Wildly Whipped Lightweight Liquid Lipstick ($20). The makeup artist, who has created red-carpet looks for Kerry Washington, Emily Blunt, and Gwyneth Paltrow, says the colours are fun and trendy.
“They also have classic colours with modern [finishes], from gloss, shimmer, and true matte,” she notes. As for wear, she favours the formula for its infusion of shea and cocoa butter, which ultimately prevents it from feeling overly dry.
Stila Stay All Day Lipstick
- Goes on smoothly without skipping, smudging, or pulling
- Lasts all day
Another liquid lipstick that you’ll find hard to resist — and hard to budge once applied — is the Stila Stay All Day Lipstick ($22). “The title says it all,” says makeup artist Merli Estime, who has worked with up-and-coming models like Elyssa Marie, Alyshia Miller, and Jeremy McClain. “[It has] beautiful colour payoff and stay all day and night action that will keep going till you decide to remove it.”
If matte is not your thing, try the satin and/or shimmery finishes, which are still guaranteed to stay put.
Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick
- Perfectly Matte: Achieving a flawless, color-intense matte finish is just a swipe away with Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink liquid matte lipstick. Get up to 16 hours of wear with this liquid lipstick in shade Exhilarator for a true ruby lip color
- Iconic Longwear Formula: The long lasting formula of this highly pigmented liquid lipstick gives you super saturated color in a smudge-free, matte finish. Color locks in, feels and looks fresh all day, with no transfer
Anyone in dire need of a product that will last from their morning coffee through their evening commute will swear by Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick ($7). Just take it from Lipscomb, who has given this formula the red carpet test. “I have used this on several red carpets, and I absolutely love how the colour stays put on my clients without the need for a touchup,” he explains.
The formula offers supersaturated pigments that are meant to last up to 16 hours — but don’t worry about a dried-out pout. “The unique ‘ink’ formula doesn’t dry out the lips like a lot of matte liquid lipsticks,” Lipscomb attests.