Between clocking in overtime at the office, barreling through traffic to get to barre class on time, and catching up with friends over cocktails, finding time to replenish your beauty must-haves can feel like a burden. Who honestly wants to spend their precious free time sifting through the seemingly limitless array of options and reviews on Amazon in order to find their next purchase?
While options are generally a good thing, an overabundance can prove overwhelming when it comes to beauty shopping. In an attempt to streamline your next shopping spree, we asked dermatologists to share what they believe to be the best facial moisturizer you can buy on Amazon. From sunscreen-infused formulas to the perfect night cream, keep reading to find your new favorite.
Best Facial Moisturizer You Can Buy On Amazon
Neutrogena® Healthy Defense® SPF 50 with Helioplex
- 1.7-fluid ounces of Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer with for Sensitive Skin with SPF 50 helps hydrate skin while also providing superior sun protection
- Made with 100% naturally-sourced sunscreen, it contains unique Purescreen Technology with zinc dioxide and titanium dioxide, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin
Sunscreen isn’t just for the summer — it’s an everyday staple. If you’re prone to skimping on SPF, consider a moisturizer containing UV protection. Dr. Michele Farber of the Schweiger Dermatology Group in NYC favors Neutrogena® Healthy Defense® SPF 50 with Helioplex ($24 for 2). “It is a lightweight option that [protects] against UVA/UVB [rays], she says. “[It] also has antioxidants. Additionally, it absorbs quickly and allows for smooth makeup application. Adds Dr. Dr. Maryann Mikhail: “This is a lightweight, easily spreadable moisturizer that is non-comedogenic, meaning it does not clog pores.
Replenix® Antioxidant Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF 50+
- This fast-absorbing sunscreen is scientifically-formulated to deliver maximum hydration and protection from the sun.
- Caffeine USP enhances overall antioxidant activity to protect the skin from damaging free radicals while helping to diminish the appearance of redness.
For skin that’s acne-prone or sensitive, NYC-based dermatologist Dr. Patricia Ceballos recommends Replenix® Antioxidant Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF 50+ ($32). In addition to its impressive level of SPF, the formula is non-comedogenic and boasts a bevy of antiagers — including silymarin from milk thistle, bisabolol from chamomile, and green tea polyphenols to fight free radicals. “It includes the antioxidants, powerful humectants, [and] combination mineral and chemical sunscreens, Cabellos reiterates.
CeraVe® Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM with SPF
- [ ALL-DAY HYDRATION ] Moisturizes throughout the day and helps restore the protective skin barrier
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
For skin that’s particularly parched, Dr. Debra Jaliman, Assistant Professor of Dermatology of Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, suggests snapping up the CeraVe® Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM with SPF($13). “ [Thanks to] ceramides and hyaluronic acid, [this formula] helps deeply moisturize and plump the skin, she says. Additionally, it’s packed with niacinamide, “a potent antioxidant with numerous benefits, [including] improving the appearance of enlarged pores and [thwarting] dullness, Jaliman notes.
Elta MD® UV Daily Facial Sunscreen
- EltaMD UV Daily Face Sunscreen with Zinc Oxide and Hyaluronic Acid protects your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays while infusing it with essential moisture for a more youthful appearance
- This SPF 40 non greasy sunscreen face moisturizer glides over skin effortlessly, won't leave a white cast after applying, and can be worn alone or under makeup
Dr. Panta Rouhani Schaffer of Gramercy Park Dermatologysm admits she’s obsessed with Elta MD® UV Daily Facial Sunscreen ($27), saying, “It is easy to apply and is an easy, fast way to start your morning routine.
And she’s not the only one head over heels for the formula either, as Ceballos also adores its ability to balance its ultra-hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid with its UV blocking properties.
“It has zinc oxide and octinoxate sunscreens and also vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant, thereby reducing the harmful effects of harsh climates, smoke, environmental pollution, and any UV radiation which may filter through to the skin, she says.
Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 50+
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 35: Three-in-one facial moisturizer hydrates, nourishes and protects sensitive, combination skin
- Daily SPF Protection: Broad spectrum SPF 35 protects against damaging UVA and UVB rays
Cetaphil® consistently produces some of the most effective, gentle, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic moisturizers on the market, declares New Jersey-based dermatologist Dr. Alexis Young. Case in point: the brand creates some of the most widely-recommended formulas for patients with serious skin conditions and sensitivities. Young’s pick is Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 50+, which contains five UV filters like titanium dioxide, which she notes provides highly effective broad-spectrum photoprotection. The formula is deeply nourishing for up to eight hours, thanks to barrier-protecting ceramides. For these reasons, Young says it should be a core product in everyone’s daily skincare routine.
Olay® Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with SPF 30
- Lightweight moisturizer with SPF provides 48 hours of hydration for normal skin
- Daily SPF moisturizer helps prevent premature skin damage with Broad Spectrum SPF 15 UVA/UVB sunscreen
While some moisturizers with SPF tend to feel greasy on skin, the Olay® Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with SPF 30 ($26) glides on skin without that added shine. According to Ceballos, it contains soothing aloe, niacinamide, and caffeine, which all work to calm inflammation as well as antioxidant vitamin E tocopherols and camellia sinensis (aka green tea extract) to repair any environmental damage we might incur as we go about our day.
While she admits she prefers all-mineral formula, she loves how this bottle doesn’t skimp on the skin-saving sunscreen ingredients. “Olay Complete combines both zinc oxide and chemical sunscreen ingredients; however, it is still a very popular and effective facial moisturizer and sunscreen, she says.
The need for moisture doesn’t disappear once the sun sets — it actually increases around the time we’re getting ready for bed. It’s also prime time for applying any anti-aging or acne-fighting ingredients, as our skin works to repair any damage we might’ve sustained during the day. Talk about getting your beauty sleep!
Replenix Power of ThreeTM Cream Moisturizer
- Clinically proven to soothe the skin and visibly reduce redness, pore size, and wrinkles.
- Our proprietary Green Tea Polyphenol Technology helps soothe and calm irritated skin while providing anti-aging protection.
Ceballos can’t praise the Replenix Power of ThreeTM Cream Moisturizer ($90) highly enough. Similar to its daytime counterpart, this the overnight formula contains an array of antioxidants, including green tea polyphenols and resveratrol. Additionally, it’s loaded with a host of humectants, like squalane and hyaluronic acid, for deep hydration. Lastly, this cream is ideal for sensitive skin, thanks in part to soothing cucumber extract and the fact that it is fragrance-free, Ceballos notes. “[And] it’s non-comedogenic!
Drier skin types need every drop of hydration they can get. The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream ($19) has it in spades. The hyaluronic acid-heavy formula deeply moisturizes and plumps up the skin’s surface. Dr. Young is such a fan, she’s shared it with her inner-most circle: “My entire family uses this product now! she proclaims. “The product does not feel thick or greasy, is well-tolerated without irritation, and is non-comedogenic, so it will not clog pores.
CeraVe PM Moisturizing Lotion
- This product is non-sealed
- [ OIL FREE NIGHT LOTION ] Use Cerave PM facial lotion as the last step in an evening skincare routine. If layering with an eye cream, moisturizer or facial serum, apply the Cerave night lotion after other product applications have been fully absorbed
One of the most beloved moisturizers among the pros we spoke with is the CeraVe PM Moisturizing Lotion ($23 for 2). Both Mikhail and Farber praise its mega-moisturizing formula that doesn’t feel leave skin feel weighed down or extra slick. “One of my favorite moisturizers is [the] CeraVe moisturizing cream, Farber proclaims, “It’s full of hydrating ingredients to repair the skin barrier, like hyaluronic acid and ceramides. Mikhail mentions how its ingredients are gentle enough for most skin types, even those with serious skin conditions and sensitivities. “It contains niacinamide (vitamin B3) which can help reduce redness and breakouts, she says. “It is fragrance-free and is even suitable for sensitive skin types.
Olay RegeneristTM Cream Moisturizer
- NIGHTTIME SKIN CARE: Apply before bedtime to wake up to smooth, younger-looking and brighter skin
- POWERFUL INGREDIENTS: Features Olay's Niacinamide + Retinoid Complex, plus Amino Peptides
If you’re serious about scoring smoother skin, Ceballos suggests stocking up on the Olay RegeneristTM Cream Moisturizer ($25). “This popular moisturizer has peptides to rejuvenate and replenish the skin’s collagen, hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, and niacinamide (vitamin B3) which has soothing anti-inflammatory properties, she notes. This powerhouse combination starts working in as little as one night, which means that you can wake start waking up to firmer skin, stat.