Many skincare aficionados remember the moment they discovered Tatcha®. For me, it was trying the brand’s waterless Rice Polish Foaming Cleanser — a powdery substance that, when mixed with water, transforms into an enzyme-based exfoliator that’s (genuinely) gentle enough for daily use. The Japanese-inspired brand has since released a smattering of skincare superstars, many of which have earned spots in the medicine cabinets of Kim Kardashian, Meghan Markle, and countless beauty editors alike.
In addition to its focus on attaining a geisha-worthy glow, much of Tatcha’s brand ethos is focused on the ritual of applying skincare. Thus, not only are the products effective, but they’re also a pleasure to use. Not sure where to start? Follow my lead with the rice polish — or take it from thousands of Sephora® shoppers, who have given the following five products glowing reviews.
Dewy Skin Cream
- A RICH CREAM that feeds skin with plumping hydration and antioxidant-packed Japanese purple rice for a dewy, healthy glow. Ideal for dry skin, but can be used on combo skin for those who prefer a richer texture.
- INTENSELY HYDRATES and seals in moisture, helping to replenish ceramides for a healthy bounce and instant luminosity. A fermentation of Japanese anti-aging superfoods — green tea, rice, and algae — helps skin to look its most beautiful at any age.
The Dewy Skin Cream is one of the most recent additions to the Tatcha family, and it might just be my new favorite. Japanese purple rice (found in many of the brand’s products) is one of the star ingredients, due to its ability to soothe and repair pollution-pummeled skin. Ginseng, thyme, and hyaluronic acid work to grant an instant glow. Those with oily skin types rave about its ability to hydrate without suffocating. Not to mention, the product itself is a lovely shade of lilac.
Aburatorigami Japanese Blotting Papers
- 100% NATURAL ABACA LEAF: Soft leaflets made of 100 percent natural abaca leaf and gold flakes absorb excess oil without disturbing makeup for petal fresh skin anytime, anywhere.
- REMOVE EXCESS OIL: Abaca leaf absorbs oil without disturbing makeup or stripping skin of essential moisture. 23-karat gold adds a subtle shimmer to skin.
While one could argue that blotting sheets are highly underrated, the Aburatorigami Japanese Blotting Papers boast an almost five star rating (with almost 240 reviews and a whopping 10K loves, nonetheless). Reviewers swear these sheets reign supreme for reducing shine in a snap. The active ingredient, abaca leaf, lifts excess oil from the skin and onto the sheet.
Gold Camellia Beauty Oil
- A multi-tasking beauty oil with 23-karat gold for face, hair and body that adds instant nourishment and radiance to your skincare and makeup routine
If you could bottle up suppleness, it might just look like the Gold Camellia Beauty Oil. The namesake hero ingredient contains four different vitamins (including A and E), plus a trio of omegas for extra nourishment. The blend also includes skin-soothing squalane and real gold flakes. While it might seem like an extravagant purchase, a little bit goes a long way; many reviewers swear they’ve gotten a good year’s use from a single bottle.
[Editor’s note: Retinol (vitamin A) shouldn’t be used by those who are pregnant, considering getting pregnant, or nursing. Please consult with your doctor before use.]
Violet-CTM Brightening Serum: 20% Vitamin C + 10% AHA
- 20% VITAMIN C + 10% AHA SERUM with pure ingredients and gentle strength that helps soften, smooth and brighten for more radiant, even-toned skin. Oil-free. Fragrance-free. Ideal for all skin types.
- TWO TYPES OF VITAMIN C and stabilized by antioxidant-rich Japanese beautyberry helps reveal a translucent, youthful glow.
Vitamin C and alpha-hydroxy acids both promote glowier, brighter-looking skin (albeit in different ways). So when the brand mixed the two together in the Violet-CTM Brightening Serum: 20% Vitamin C + 10% AHA, a radiance-boosting skincare superhero was born. When applied nightly, this serum works to gently encourage cell turnover and fade hyperpigmentation spots. Not to mention, the vibrant packaging reminds me of a sunset.
Silk CanvasTM Protective Primer
- VELVETY PRIMING BALM of pressed silk smooths and makes makeup last longer while keeping it out of skin, helping to minimize clogged pores and breakouts. This multi tasking skin protecting, makeup perfecting primer for face, eyes and lips.
- BLURS: Silk extracts feel nourishing on skin and instantly diminish the look of pores, fines lines and imperfections for the perfect canvas before makeup. PRIMES: Silk powder makes makeup glide on more evenly and last longer, minimizing excess shine with a soft focus finish.
Forget everything you know about primers. Unlike your usual silicone-based liquid formula, The Silk CanvasTM Protective Primer is a densely-packed balm that can be scooped with thean included spatula and smoothed across skin. The hero ingredient is pressed silk — which, as you might’ve guessed — leaves skin feeling impeccably smooth. In addition to creating a makeup base, this primer also contains potent anti-aging ingredients, including algae extract and green tea. Plus, reviewers with oily skin swear this stuff keeps their makeup intact for hours longer than most, without adding greasiness or heaviness.