We’re selective about the formulas we use on our hair, skin, and nails. The Spotlyte 7TM highlights recently-released and/or noteworthy products you can add to your makeup bag, one day at a time. Let’s go shopping!
It’s hard to imagine a life without dry shampoo. While it has only risen to mass popularity in the past few years, the powder-based formulas have single-handedly changed the way many of us wash (rather, don’t wash) our hair. After all, the whole notion of lather, rinse, repeat seems arduous when you could simply spritz and sprint out the door.
Dry shampoo as we know it isn’t going anywhere, but new formulations of the gym bag staple suggest that it’s starting to shapeshift. Below, we’ve rounded up seven next-generation sprays, foams, and pastes to try — many of which do more than simply absorb oil and sweat. Read on to discover blotting papers for your hair (yes, really!), cleansers that double as invisible UV shields, and other formulas that’ll make you rethink dry shampoo all together.
The OUAI Dry Shampoo Foam
- OUAI SUPER DRY SHAMPOO. Get that just-showered volume and shine with the Super Dry Shampoo spray. The unique formula works on even the oiliest hair to remove product buildup, cleanse the scalp and add volume. It's also color safe.
- NO SHOWER, NO PROBLEM. On the days you don't have time to shower, just shake the can very well and spray at an angle six to ten inches away from head. Rub the dry shampoo into hair until you can't see it. Flip hair over and spray for even more volume.
Snowy-looking residue is one of the downfalls of dry shampoo, especially on dark hair (where it can look like dandruff). The OUAI® Dry Shampoo Foam ($26) relies on a moussey formula, which cleanses without risking a snowy finish.
Redken Dry Shampoo Paste
- The REDKEN dry Shampoo paste is a hybrid formula that combines the reworkable hold of a styling product with the freshness of a dry shampoo
- The two-in-one paste can be used in between washes to absorb oil, and impurities
While pomades are generally reserved for styling, the Redken® Dry Shampoo Paste ($20) proves that putties can cleanse, too. The formula contains volcanic minerals to absorb excess oil, while coconut oil softens and boosts volume.
Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk
- This oat milk-infused dry shampoo leaves hair looking refreshed, full of body and volume while extending the life of blowouts. The ultra-fine powders blend invisibly into hair with no chalky residue.
- Ultra-gentle, plant-based dry shampoo eliminates oil, dirt and odors. Hair is clean with added volume & texture.
Consider Klorane® Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk ($30) the “sensitive” dry shampoo formula that you didn’t know you needed. Those who are looking for a light pick-me-up to their strands will love how gently this product works on both hair and scalp: oat milk works to nourish hair and scalp with softness, while rice starch delicately absorbs and whisks away dirt.
VERB Dry Shampoo for Light Hair
- DRY SHAMPOO POWDER: A talc free and translucent dry shampoo to refresh hair, remove excess oil and boost body; hair oil is reduced by 45% after 2 sprays*
- SAVE YOUR STYLE: Verb Dry Shampoo Powder extends your style and re-energizes your look; the styling powder is suitable for all hair types and textures, and is invisible even in dark hair
Modeled after purple shampoo, the VERB® Dry Shampoo for Light Hair ($19) features a brass-busting lavender tint, which works to tone yellowness in blonde hair. Simply spray and brush through for hair that’s fresher-smelling — and possibly brighter-looking. We promise it doesn’t turn hair a shade of violet.
Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-PowderTM Tres Invisible Dry Shampoo With Pink Clay
- An invisible, 2-in-1 style extender that cleanses and adds volume from roots to ends.
In addition to damaging your skin, UV light can undo your colorist’s work by fading your hue prematurely. The Bumble and Bumble® Pret-a-PowderTM Tres Invisible Dry Shampoo With Pink Clay ($34) not only absorbs excess grease, but also it also douses hair in an invisible veil of sun protection.
boscia Blotting Linens
- Blot away excess oil and help prevent breakouts with a pack of blotting linens formulated with Willow Bark Extract that absorbs oil and keeps your complexion looking clear and clean, without disturbing makeup.
We’ve been using boscia Blotting Linens and are absolutely thrilled with their performance. Infused with Willow Bark Extract, these linens do an exceptional job of absorbing excess oil without disturbing our makeup.
Not only do they help us maintain a clear and clean complexion, but they also aid in preventing breakouts. Compact and convenient, they are a must-have for on-the-go touch-ups. We highly recommend boscia Blotting Linens to anyone looking for an efficient solution to combat oily skin.
R+Co Spiritualized Dry Shampoo Mist
- Infused with botanical derivatives that refresh hair and scalp by gently removing excess oil and dirt while keeping strands hydrated and healthy.
- Contains a blend of natural humectants and conditioners that maintain the moisture balance of hair and scalp and keeps hair looking and feeling supple.
Despite its name, the R+Co Spiritualized Dry Shampoo Mist ($28) is hardly dry — in fact, it dispenses as a wet spray. Micelles work to attract dirt and oil, while glycerine draws moisture in from the surrounding air. A few spritzes leaves hair feeling hydrated while tamping down on frizz and flyaways.