You might not think the words “supermarket” and “beauty” go together. After all, your standard grocery store tends to be a destination for grooming staples like shampoo and boxed hair dye, and nothing more, so get the best whole foods beauty products. But if you’ve been to Whole Foods® lately, you know that supermarket beauty isn’t one size fits all.
The beauty aisle within the health-centric grocer is a skincare junkie’s gold mine. If you’re thinking Whole Foods sells only essential oils and glycerin soap bars, you couldn’t be more wrong. Next time you make a run to pick up a pineapple or a box of paleo crackers, visit Whole Body®, its health and beauty department.
There, you’ll find a thorough selection of natural and non-toxic face and body formulas. From staple brands like Dr. Hauschka® to new indie beauty favorites, and even Whole Foods’s sheet masks, you’re bound to find something suited to your tastes. Keep reading to discover some of our top picks.
Best Whole Foods Beauty Products
MyChelle® Refining Sugar Cleanser
- Powerful exfoliant: MyChelle refining sugar Cleanser is formulated with natural dissolving cane sugar to effectively cleanse skin and even remove makeup. This powerful cleanser also exfoliates dead skin cells and reveals shining and healthy-looking skin.
- Improve skin texture: this cleanser is boosted with age-defying peptides and crocus chrysanthus extract that help in improving the skin texture.
Even those with sensitive skin will enjoy the MyChelle Refining Sugar Cleanser ($19). Though it’s gritty upon application, the natural sugar dissolves with water, morphing into a creamy lather as you buff your face sparkling clean. The formula combines a glow-boosting blend of peptides, antioxidants, and alpha hydroxy acids, which will leave your face smooth and hydrated. Its dessert-like sweet aroma turns the dreaded morning shower into a decadent self-care experience.
Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronzing Tint
- Tinted Day Cream richly moisturizes the skin and gives it a subtle, natural glow.
- Nourishes, soothes and hydrates while adding a light, translucent, sun-kissed glow to dry, sensitive, mature and normal skin.
A few years ago on Watch What Happens Live®, Jennifer Lopez told Andy Cohen about her favorite moisturizer: “A rose cream from Whole Foods.” She was, indeed, referring to the iconic Dr. Hauschka face cream. The brand, however, has an unsung hero in the Translucent Bronzing Fluid Tint ($45). This truly natural-looking liquid can be mixed in with any moisturizer or applied with a blending sponge to add an instant boost of color. At the same time, it refines the look of enlarged pores and minimizes most surface imperfections.
Acure® Radically Rejuvenating Under Eye Hydrogels
- YOUR GOAL: Performance Driven Hair Care
- OUR SOLUTION: Provides lasting moisture leaving hair soft, manageable and ready to rock. Organic argan oil and pumpkin provide mega omega fatty acids.
Whether they come courtesy of dreaded spring allergies or that last glass of wine you should have skipped the night before, puffy eyes definitely qualify as a common morning emergency. The Acure Radically Rejuvenating Under Eye Hydrogels ($6 for a pair) are soaked in soothing extracts of silk tree, cucumber, and chamomile to erase signs of eye-related fatigue. Keep them in the fridge for an extra cooling boost, which will help decrease inflammation in just minutes.
Boiron® Calendula Cream
- Naturally heal skin irritations with Calendula Cream. It helps promote the healing of cuts, scrapes, chafing, minor burns and sunburn. The moisturizing texture of Calendula Cream makes it ideal for use on dry or chafed skin. Try it as a night cream or after exfoliation or cleansing treatments.
- The flowers of the Calendula officinalis plant, also known as the Garden marigold, have been used topically for generations to naturally heal skin irritations.
We learned about this Whole Foods find from Joshua Ross of SkinLabTM. The Boiron Calendula Cream ($8) is actually shelved in the first aid section of the beauty aisle, so you may need to look closely. This homeopathic blend of soothing botanicals and glycerin is excellent for treating cuts, scrapes, and sunburn, but don’t limit your use of it to emergency situations. It makes for a fantastic moisturizer that calms the skin après peel or laser treatment. Apply it over your retinol treatment at night to prevent potential dryness or flaking.
Mad Hippie® Exfoliating Serum
- SKIN BRIGHTENING SERUM: Vitamin C evens skin tone, neutralizes free radicals, and boosts collagen to improve radiance and reduce dark spots, dark circles, fine lines & wrinkles
- ANTI AGING FORMULA: Purposefully balanced blend with Vitamin C, botanical Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, and MSM to help brighten, calm & protect skin
To achieve a glowing complexion, consistent exfoliating is a non-negotiable step in your daily routine. The Mad Hippie Exfoliating Serum ($35) is a powerful leave-on treatment that tackles two of the biggest skin challenges: discoloration and fine lines. The potent blend of glycolic and lactic acids is combined with mega-hydrating sodium hyaluronate, apple stem cells, and fruit-derived antioxidants to ward off irritation.
The result is speedier cellular turnover for brighter, firmer skin, plus a complexion that’s nourished and protected from free radical damage. If you’re new to chemical exfoliation, incorporate this serum into your nighttime routine once per week. The resurfacing action may increase your skin’s sun sensitivity, which is why you must apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily.
Cocokind® Golden Elixir
- Cocokind Ceramide Barrier Serum is made with a blend of five ceramides, squalane, and lactic acid that help maintain the skin barrier, hydrate and protect against dehydration, and reduce signs of irritation and aging.
- Ceramides and squalane help seal in moisture and provide a barrier against external aggressors while lactic acid helps remove dead skin cells, allowing other ingredients to better absorb into the skin.
Everybody loves a multi-tasker, which is why the Cocokind Golden Elixir ($23) has achieved cult status in the green beauty space. This face, body, and hair moisturizer is fueled by organic sacha inchi oil, a superfood plant grown and harvested in the Peruvian rainforests. Its high omega and antioxidant content are said to have powerful healing and regenerative properties. As a daily moisturizer, it is suitable for nearly all skin types — including acne-prone — and it works beautifully on hair to treat dry ends and to tame flyaways. Geranium and sweet orange oil give this golden potion an addictive herbal aroma.
Whole Foods Market Sheet Masks
- 【Grocery Store for Your Face】 Revitalizing face mask set hydrates your dry and flaky skin, restores the broken balance of sensitive skin, and refreshes oily skin by maintaining sebum. Almond, Coconut, Tomato, Spinach contains sodium hyaluronate to keep your skin hydrated and fresh. So a healthy Super Food Facial mask combo set for all skin types
- 【Pamper Yourself】 12 Sheet masks for face are all you need for glowing skin each day. Give dead cells of your skin a thriving essence of oatmeal, broccoli, blueberry, spinach, almond, tomato, beet, avocado, coconut, rice, artichoke, and spirulina. Recovers your skin against redness, itching, wrinkles, aging, dryness, and dullness so you can shine each day like a star
When Whole Foods launched its own range of K-beauty inspired sheet masks, we were both intrigued and apprehensive. After all, it’s rare for a great face mask to just land in your grocery cart. Our testing proved we needn’t worry: the assortment includes textures that vary from cotton to bio-cellulose, and address your age-defying, nourishing, soothing, and clarifying needs. Each formula is saturated to perfection and sports a great fit that won’t slide down your face. It’s really hard to pick a favorite but, lately, the Nourishing Royal JellyTM has been indispensable as the yo-yo-like temperature changes have sent our skin into a frenzy.
Alba Botanica® Acnedote® Face & Body Scrub
- One 8 oz. bottle of Alba Botanica Acnedote Maximum Strength Face & Body Scrub
- Treats and prevents acne and breakouts
Warmer weather is hopefully around the corner and, as the days get longer, the sleeves get shorter. If you’re wishing to smooth out even slight imperfections on your arms and shoulders, include space in your shower for a tube of Alba Botanica Acnedote Face & Body Scrub ($11). This straightforward blend of salicylic acid, willow bark extract, and ground walnut shells buffs away dirt and oil clogging your pores, which trigger acne and other unwanted breakouts. It’s even gentle enough to use on your face, too.
Evanhealy® Whipped Shea Butter for Lips
- INTENSIVE CONDITIONING -- This lip treatment has been formulated to retain moisture, nourish, and offer protection against dry, chapped lips.
- BEAUTY IN SIMPLE INGREDIENTS -- Our all-natural, hand-whipped shea butter blend is made with shea butter, unbleached beeswax, and nourishing avocado & argan oils.
Clever merchandising and tempting packaging may make it difficult to restrain yourself from that impromptu lip balm purchase at checkout. Instead of making a hasty purchase, pick up a tube of the Evanhealy Whipped Shea Butter for Lips ($10) in the beauty aisle. The mega nourishing blend of shea butter and beeswax soothes dry, chapped lips on contact.
Additionally, omega-rich plant oils such as raspberry seed, argan, and avocado provide superb antioxidant protection. The biggest lip balm connoisseur will be impressed with the non-greasy texture and lasting performance of this certified organic salve. In a pinch, its wider than most swivel stick applicators, which makes for a great cuticle balm.
Dr. Bronner’s® Organic Shaving Soap
- USDA ORGANIC & FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS: Fair trade & organic sugar combined with organic white grape juice keeps your skin nourished & moisturized. Organic coconut-olive-hemp oils blend for a creamy castile lather—our soapmaking tradition!
- SHAVE, CLEANSE & HYDRATE ALL AT ONCE: Our shave gel is a multifunctional product—like most of our products. Cleanse as you shave and leave your skin moisturized! Use on your face, underarms & legs—for both men & women. All-One!
Dr. Bronner’s Shaving Soap ($11) is one of the best unisex beauty finds at Whole Foods. Whether you use it on your face, underarms, or legs, it helps you achieve an incredibly close shave. You can choose from lavender, tea tree, lemongrass lime, and peppermint aromas to experience a dose of aromatherapy (or unscented, if you prefer a fragrance-free option). A minimal amount creates a rich lather, but be careful while squeezing the tube — the soap is quite runny in consistency. This shaving solution scores bonus points for its use exclusively of organic and fair trade ingredients.