We’re selective about the formulas we use on our hair, skin, and nails. The Spotlyte 7TM highlights recently-released and/or noteworthy products you can add to your makeup bag, one day at a time. Let’s go shopping!
By now, we’re all familiar with so-called superfoods: They’re your rich leafy greens, your omega-heavy fats, and everything else you’d find at your local juice bar. Ingesting these nutritional powerhouses is said to promote a lit-from-within skin glow — and, in some cases, stronger, shinier hair. But you don’t necessarily have to down green shakes to reap the benefits. These days, ingredients like matcha, flax, and kefir abound in beauty products, too. Below, seven best superfood infused beauty products that’ll give your hair and skin an extra dose of nutrition.
Best Superfood Infused Beauty Products
Elemis® Superfood Kefir Tea Mist
- Coconut Water hydrates and replenishes essential moisture for a dewy-fresh complexion
- Feed your skin with this nourishing 4-in-1 treatment mist.
Milk’s cooler cousin, kefir, makes an appearance in the Elemis® Superfood Kefir Tea Mist ($33). This version is derived from soy, so there’s no dairy involved — but it still retains the probiotic goodness of the real deal. Add in soothing aloe vera and coconut water, and you have yourself a hydrating hero on your hands. Rest assured, this stuff does not smell remotely milky. Rather, we’d compare its herbaceous scent to one you might inhale at an upscale yoga studio.
Paula’s Choice® Omega+ Complex Moisturizer
- THIS MOISTURIZER USES THE POWER OF ANTIOXIDANTS, emollients, anti-aging peptides, & skin quenching moisture to even out skin tone & minimize wrinkles. Calms, repairs & replenishes skin prone to redness and rosacea, while it fights the effects of aging.
- Paula's Choice SKIN RECOVERY Replenishing Moisturizer Cream for Redness is a daily moisturizing treatment that hydrates and repairs without heaviness or residue. Use as part of your morning and night routine with your Paula's Choice cleanser and toner.
The Paula’s Choice® Omega+ Complex Moisturizer ($35) started as a serum before its thicker, lotion-like successor rolled around. Like the original formula, this one contains superfoods chia and flaxseed for a rush of fatty acid goodness. The result: glowy, plump-looking skin.
People® Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream
- Cleanse it, then condition it. This cold-pressed superfood cleanser + moisturizer duo delivers a daily dose of plant-based antioxidants and nutrients to help fight free radical damage and keep skin in balance.
- Custom Superfoods Blend: Kale, spinach, green tea, alfalfa, vitamins C, E, K.
The kale craze is still going strong: turns out, the leafy green is a superstar even when applied topically. As one of three hero ingredients in the Youth to the People® Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream ($48), the leafy green provides a healthy dose of vitamin C. The other starring ingredients, green tea and hyaluronic acid add antioxidants and hydrating goodness, respectively. It’s worth noting that this moisturizer is oil-free, making it ideal for those who are averse to any semblance of greasiness.
Briogeo® Kale + Apple Replenishing Superfood Shampoo and Conditioner
- WHO IT’S FOR: Those with dull, lifeless, and dry strands, looking for an everyday solution to nourish hair. Hair types: straight, wavy, curly and coily.
- WHAT IT IS: A moisturizing, smoothie-inspired, sulfate free conditioner packed with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to quench dull, thirsty strands and support healthy hair.
The Briogeo® Kale + Apple Replenishing Superfood Shampoo and Conditioner ($48) look like green juices, smell like green juices — and heck, even give your hair a healthy dose of nutrition. Similar to how your favorite spinach and kale drink can leave your skin looking glowier, these juice-inspired formulas deliver shine to your strands. A blend of omega-rich matcha and potassium-rich spinach work to deliver healthier looking hair instantly and over time.
Four Sigmatic® Superfood Serum
- NATURE’S ENERGY BOOST — We combined seven genius ingredients into an earthy blend that’ll transform anything into a focus food. Our extracted mushroom and adaptogen powder is formulated for energy, creativity, and laser-sharp focus. Smarten up coffee, tea, smoothies, soups, and even baked goods. It’s absolutely brilliant. The cleverest thing about it? It’s absolutely uncaffeinated.
- INTELLECTUALLY INVIGORATING MUSHROOMS — The scientific name for Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceus) kind of sounds like “Hercules”, and with good reason. Used for a millenia in Native American and Traditional Chinese Medicine, Lion’s Mane mushroom powder is an easy way to beef up your brain when you need a focus aid, providing considerable cognitive support. Each scoop contains approximately 500mg of this mind magnifying mushroom extract.
The Four Sigmatic® Superfood Serum ($55) takes the whole “good enough to eat” thing quite literally: The formula is topical and edible. Pat on for an instant glow, or pump four drops into your mouth every day for an omega-rich dietary supplement (the blend includes avocado and superfood reishi mushroom). The serum doesn’t taste like much, but it does have an ever-so-slight zing of citrus.
Dr. Andrew WeilTM for OriginsTM Mega-Mushroom Soothing Treatment Lotion
- A handy-sized nylon brush
- Developed with innovative ceramic, ionic, and infrared technology offers rapid drying time ensures sleeker
The Dr. Andrew WeilTM for OriginsTM Mega-Mushroom Soothing Treatment Lotion ($20) calms irritated and/or redness-prone skin, thanks to ultra-gentle sea buckthorn oil, while superfood reishi mushroom delivers hydration. The texture is almost milk-like — which is to say that it’s not as thin as water, but not exactly a cream, either. We love patting on after a gentle cleanse and before our nighttime moisturizer.
Skin LoveTM Glow Elixir
Becca® is known for its highlighters, but the Skin LoveTM Glow Elixir ($48) is proof that the brand is also on top of the superfood game. This lightweight primer features a blend of blueberry and resveratrol (an antioxidant found in grapes). Apply directly before makeup for a glow that’s ethereal, not greasy.